You are here

FAQs - Probation

The U.S. Probation and Pretrial Services Office thrives on professionalism and hold its officers to the highest of ethical standards, as noted within our Judiciary Code of Conduct. If your experience is to the contrary, we would like to hear from you. Please direct all complaints of unethical behavior by U.S. Probation Officers and/or other employees to the Deputy Chief, by contacting our main office at 612-664-5400. You may also submit your complaint, in writing, to the following email address: All complaints will be reviewed and addressed accordingly.


Q: I am an employer and I want to know if a prospective employee has been convicted of a crime, can you run a background check?
Q: What are the standard conditions of probation the court must impose?
Q: I know of a family member who is on Federal probation/supervised release, can you tell me what crime they committed?
Q: What is the procedure for the drug testing program also known as Code-A-Phone Answering Service?
Q: I am on probation/supervised release. Am I allowed to leave the state?
Q: I have a family member/friend who is scheduled to be released from prison. They were convicted in federal court in another district or state but want to reside in the District of Minnesota. How can his/her case be transferred?
Q: I have been released from federal prison, how soon do I have to report for supervision?
Q: How can I have my probation/supervised release terminated early?